Cereal is the most requested food item in the Comet Cupboard. Meeting our $5,000 goal will allow us to provide a healthy breakfast option for hungry Comets through the end of the spring semester!
About the Comet Cupboard
The Comet Cupboard food pantry, an on-campus student-led initiative, began operations in 2012 and is dedicated to helping students in need achieve academic success by alleviating their food insecurity challenges. Additionally, undergraduate Comets are able to engage in volunteerism and leadership with the Comet Cupboard as a service-learning experience that helps students value community over individualism.
The Comet Cupboard service could not exist or grow without your help. Donations fund all of the food and personal care items distributed from the Comet Cupboard, as well as day-to-day operations and other critical initiatives that help ensure that Comets don’t need to worry about their basic needs during their academic journey.
Did You Know? According to four-year college students surveyed in College and University Basic Needs Insecurity: A National #RealCollege Survey Report:
- 44% worried their food would run out before they had money to buy more.
- 47% could not afford to eat balanced meals.
- 35% cut the size of or skipped their meals because they didn’t have enough money to buy food.
- 34% ran out of food before they had money to buy more.
- 28% felt hungry but didn’t eat because they didn’t have enough money to buy food.
- 20% did not eat for a whole day because they didn’t have enough money to buy food.
- 16% lost weight because they did not have food.
- 8% did not eat for a whole day because they did not have enough food.
Food insecurity compromises a student’s ability to achieve academic success. According to college students surveyed in the College and University Food Bank Alliance’s Hunger on Campus study, 53% report missing a class, 55% did not buy a required textbook and 25% dropped a class because of hunger or housing problems.
We value each student and want to ensure they have their essential needs met in order to achieve their full potential during their academic journey. Please join us to continue the mission of feeding hungry Comets. Let’s create a #hungerfreeUTD!
“The experience was amazing. Very helpful for students in harsh economic conditions.”
“When I first started using the Comet Cupboard, I was in a really bad place and felt embarrassed about letting anyone else know. That fact is that it helped me so much that I would go to the Comet Cupboard as often as I could…Eventually, I was like a walking commercial for this resource because I felt like everyone in need should take advantage of it.”
“Comet Cupboard has helped me immensely by getting me enough supplies during the rough times.”